Lighthouse Point FL
In an area of mangrove swamps and fertile farmland, Miss Juliette Becker built the first home in 1947 on the SE corner of Sample Road and NE 21st Avenue. Four years later, in 1951, the first acreage was acquired for development by R. E. Batemen. In 1951 the first home in a new subdivision called Hillsboro Isles was completed. On December 23, 1953, the first baby, Cynthia Ann Wright, was born to “Lighthouse Point” parents. From these beginnings the future City of Lighthouse Point began to emerge.
A civic association was formed in October 1953. By early 1954 residents of the new community met to decide whether to remain status quo, to be annexed by the City of Pompano Beach, or to incorporate as a separate entity. Our farsighted first settlers chose to incorporate.
On June 13, 1956, the Town of Lighthouse Point came into being when 107 of about 600 people living here voted to incorporate. City Hall operated from a store front at 1811 NE 24th Street. Fire protection was provided by Pompano Beach Highlands volunteers. Court was held on Saturday mornings when necessary. Town meetings were held every second week. In June 1957, Lighthouse Point FL received its state charter and officially became a City. A City Hall building was completed at 22nd Avenue and 38th Street in 1959 and by 1963, the City was able to employ a fire chief and ten reserve firefighters. In 1965 a police building was constructed across from City Hall to accommodate both police and fire departments. The two shared space until a new fire station was built later on.
2200 N.E. 38 Street
Lighthouse Point, Florida 33064
Phone: 954-943-6500 FAX: 954-784-3446
Office Hours 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Michael S. Long
Commission Vice President
Susie E. Gordon
John D. Lavisky
Commission meets 2nd and 4th Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m.
Form of Government:
Commissioners serve 3-year terms